One of the deadliest fires in the history of the Bronx has claimed the lives of 12 people, four of which were children, and left four others critically injured in hospital, confirmed New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.
The fire actually started when a three-year-old boy was playing with the elements on his family's apartment stove. It turns out that this is not the first time the boy played with the stove, as police confirmed that the boy had a history of being intrigued by the appliance.
When his mother discovered that the boy had started the fire, she grabbed him and her other child and exited the building. It was during this exit that the fire went from bad to worse. The mother left the door to her apartment open which allowed the fire to spread far more quickly out of the apartment towards the surrounding units. The building's stairwell also acted as a massive chimney increasing the fire's speed and intensity.
New York City Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro is urging people to understand safety procedures when you discover a fire, specifically about closing doors in the fire's path, “Close the door, close the door, close the door."