5-Foot Long Tapeworm Slithered Out Of Man's Body After Eating Sushi

Fox News / Amazon

Sushi is practically the healthiest fast food option out there. Most sushi contains rice, vegetables, and some source of fish that is rich with iron and omega-3 fatty acids, so for the millions of people who are looking for something healthy while on the go, sushi is the best way to go.

One man from California thought the same, but after a five-foot long tapeworm "wiggled out" of his body, he's a little traumatized to say the least.

Tapeworms are not as uncommon as you may think. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more people are affected by the pork tapeworm than any other species of this flat worm.

Once ingested, these parasites usually make their way into their host's intestines. They attach their "head" to the wall and absorb nutrients.

The most common way to get a tapeworm is through eating undercooked meat or unwashed fruits and vegetables that are contaminated.

The body often doesn't trigger any symptoms at all, but sometimes the host will experience stomachache, diarrhea, or weight loss.

Fortunately for that one man from Fresno, California, his body gave him some important hints that something was very wrong.

According to Dr. Kenny Bahn, who shared the story of his patient on the podcast This Won't Hurt A Bit, the man went to the emergency room and complained of experiencing bloody diarrhea.

He insisted the emergency room physician to treat him for worms, to which he obliged.

"I take out a toilet paper roll, and wrapped around it of course is what looks like this giant, long tapeworm," Bahn said on the podcast.

The worm that "wiggled out" of the patient's body was five-and-a-half feet long. Bahn recalled the patient describing the experience as if "his guts were coming out" as he sat on the toilet. The worst part was that the worm was moving!

That wasn't the end of it all though, the patient was treated with medication to help remove whatever else remained of the worm in his body. That being said, Bahn said the patient was glad that his problem was just a tapeworm.

Coincidentally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last year that wild-salmon caught off the coast of Alaska may contain tapeworm.

The California resident, who reported he ate sushi with salmon regularly, said he won't be eating the fish anytime soon.

Share this story with a friend who loves sushi!

[Source: Fox News]