Man Dies After Being Sucked Into MRI Machine While Visiting A Relative At A Hospital

Mirror

There's no telling when will be your last day, or the events leading up to those final hours.

32-year-old Rajesh Maru was completely healthy the day he went to visit his elderly relative at a hospital, but he was the one who would never walk out those doors again.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines use a powerful magnetic field to capture images of internal body structures. For that reason, metallic objects can easily be pulled towards it and must not be carried into the room.

In 2001, a six-year-old boy undergoing an MRI scan in New York was killed when a metal oxygen tank flew towards the machine and crushed his skull.

Maru, from Mumbia, India, was the "sole breadwinner" of his family. He was working hard as a salesman to make ends meet.

In the hopes of helping his sister's mother-in-law, who suffered from a viral fever, at Nair Hospital, he was asked to carry an oxygen cylinder by a junior staff member, who assured him that the machine was switched off.

But that was far from the truth...

According to the city's police reports, he was sucked into the machine by its powerful magnetic force, while carrying the oxygen cylinder.

A relative, Harish Solanki, said, "As soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on. He was sucked in and his hand got stuck there. His body swelled up and he couldn't speak."

He died in just two minutes, leaving his family "shocked" and "devastated."

Maru Rajesh's picture on Facebook.Mirror

Preliminary reports suggested that the man died from inhaling liquid oxygen that leaked from the cylinder, after it hit the MRI machine. The cause of death was attributed to an abnormal collection of air in the space between the lung and chest wall.

Three members of staff have been arrested for causing death due to negligence, and investigations are still in progress.

The state government announced compensation of $7,870 for the victim's family.