Teen Nearly Died After Sandwich Tears Open His Throat

The Sun / Dunkin' Donuts

As parents, our children come first. We try to feed them the best meals, take them to their extracurricular activities, and support them emotionally as much as possible. However, there are some things that are just out of our hands.

Two years ago, I remember coming across an article about a six-year-old boy who was rushed to hospital after a barbecue brush bristle got lodged in his throat. The mother was cleaning her barbecue, like we all do, and a bristle must have fallen off, wedging itself into the hamburger meat.

The poor boy had to surgically remove the wire, which then led to a throat infection, because of the bacteria that was on the bristle. It was such a horrific experience for both the boy and his mother!

Recently, a 14-year-old boy from Missouri had an even more traumatic experience after a cracker and a sandwich literally ripped open his throat, causing a deadly infection.

It was a shock not only for his family, but for the doctors as well...

Alec Hebblethwaite and his family knew something was wrong after he threw up blood during football practice. The teen was eating a cracker when his esophagus slightly tore. Doctors advised the boy to eat soft foods until the wound healed.

A month later, Alec started choking while eating a ham and cheese sandwich.

"At first I didn't know anything was wrong at all - I just felt like I got a bit of the sandwich stuck in my throat," Alec told The Sun.

Doctors told the family that the boy's esophagus was ripped, and needed surgery.

"They said that if we had waited 12 more hours before taking him to the hospital he would have died. We thought it was just chest pain he was complaining about but the doctors did a swallow study and found out there was a hole," his mother, Kasey, told reporters.

Unfortunately, the wound had already become infected, and Alec spent months trying to get better as he fought off deadly infections, like sepsis.

"The doctors said they had never seen it in a kid before. It was very scary. To stand there and look at your kid and there is nothing you can do for them," she said.

Doctors diagnosed Alec with eosinophilic esophagitis, which is a rare allergic inflammatory condition that causes the white blood cells to build up in the esophagus. This can cause difficulty swallowing, choking, vomiting, and heartburn.

Alec is doing much better now, but is still going to the hospital to stretch his esophagus so that he can breathe easier.

As for why this happened to her son, Kasey is still shocked, but grateful that he has remained strong all these months.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think that crackers and sandwiches would be able to do this," she said," Kasey said.

What a brave family! We wish Alec a speedy recovery so that he can go back to playing football.

[Source: The Sun]