They say misery loves company, and a resident of a Vermont-based retirement community has recently proven this to be true.
Betty Miller, 70, was ready to give up on life, so she planned to "injure herself" by ingesting poison. However, she did not plan on doing that solo.
Miller made some ricin, a poison derived from castor beans, using ingredients found around the facility, according to the Free Press. She then proceeded to sprinkle it on other residents' food and drinks. She told investigators that she harvested 30 to 40 castor beans, and made about two to three tablespoons of ricin in her kitchen twice a week.
Just a few grains of the highly toxic concoction could kill an adult human by preventing the body to create the right proteins it needs, according to the CDC.
Miller exposed the residents to the poison on at least three separate occasions, but thankfully, there were no fatalities. None of the residents reported symptoms of ricin poisoning, which usually includes diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, changes in blood pressure, hallucinations, seizures, and even organ failure. However, the Vermont Department of Health were made aware of one senior who may have been affected by the toxin, but is not currently ill.
So this begs the question: Why did she do it?