It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
A Pennsylvania man is suing an amusement park after claiming that he contracted an eye-eating parasite from one of its water rides.
Last summer, Robert Trostle contracted the parasite known as microsporidia keratitis in his left eye after being splashed during a ride at Pittsburgh's Kennywood amusement park.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, parasitic microsporidia keratitis can be found in bodies of water and soil, tap water, heating, ventilating and air conditioning units, and whirlpools. Someone may get infected when the parasite enters the eye through small scrapes that can be caused by a contact lens or minor eye injuries.
Trostle and his wife were just trying to enjoy one of the most popular rides at any waterpark, and now the man wishes he thought twice before getting in contact with the dirty water.
Trostle noticed that the water supply in the "Raging Rapids" ride was "dirty, stagnant, and sludge-like" while waiting in line. They didn't worry too much about getting splashed and focused on enjoying the ride.
However, at the end of the ride, water splashed on his face, and soon after that's when his eye irritation began. He was treated with antibiotics for conjunctivitis, but symptoms only worsened.
Trostle is suing the park for negligence, seeking $35,000 in damages. He claims it was clear that the park failed to properly maintain the ride.
The lawsuit claims that he underwent an "extremely painful surgery where the parasite was scraped out of the eye with surgical scalpel, and he was required to remain in a dark room for the next two days."
The man claims that the parasite was not removed in entirety, and he continues to suffer from blurry vision, itchiness, pain, inflammation and redness.
A Kennywood spokesman told the Washington Post that the park does not comment on active litigation.
“Safety is the top priority of Kennywood in everything we do, and that certainly extends to maintenance of the rides and water used in rides,” the spokesman, Nick Paradise, said in an emailed statement.